Monday 21 September 2015

Getting Yarny


It's been three weeks since school started and we are now
firmly back to everyday life with school runs, homework, etc. Both
girls are settled and happy at school and I am beginning to really
enjoy the days when Lulu is at nursery and I'm on my own at home.
I'm usually busy pottering and catching up with various jobs and
of course, crafting. I've seldom had whole uninterrupted hours of
sewing or making before and having this free time now is just
fantastic. I have started two new projects, both crocheted and
both in preparation for colder days ahead: I'm making a blanket
for our living room sofa and a rug for the girls' bedroom.


I'm following a pattern from Inside Crochet for the blanket and so far
it's going well. I really like the clusters of trebles and the wavy lines
they make. It's working up fairly quickly too which is very good
and exciting.


The rug was also making up quickly but I've had to take a break
last week after running out of fabric yarn. It's going to be nicer and
 softer underfoot for the girls once this is made- and colourful too!
I've just bought some more yarn and hopefully I'll get this all
finished in the next few days.


Once the rug is made I'm planning to start on a cushion cover
I found in this old crochet book. It's round, with a big flower and
can be made with any DK yarn- perfect for these cotton lovelies
in my yarn stash.


Aside from these three, there are many other things I'd like
to make this autumn and winter, including another patchwork blanket
 and an embroidered picture for the girls' room. I think there's a better
chance of getting some of them made now that I have Mondays and
Fridays free. Plus the cooler days and darker evenings are also very conducive for making with yarn so I'm feeling very hopeful about
these projects. I just have to stop faffing about now and get cracking!

Hope you've had a great weekend. It was lovely and sunny here
both on Saturday and Sunday but we're back to grey, cold and wet
today. Anyway, have a good Monday everyone!



16 comments:

  1. I love the look of your blanket. Such lovely colours too! I love the daisy pattern you laid that beautiful rug on - is it fabric? I have creative plans too...it must be the time of year! I'm also day dreaming a bit about when LittleR goes to school (2017! Her nursery days are days I work) and I might get a small moment to do whatever I want...or not :) Hope Markie's enjoying Year 1 and Lulu's settled into nursery. Have a brilliant (and creative) week xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh fab projects, Marion. I'm so glad you're enjoying your free time! You are so right about this time of year, it's exactly the right time for planning and starting yarny projects. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is so pretty! Love the stitch pattern and your colors are really nice. It's nice to have a little free time in your days, isn't it? I was very relieved when I finally got some of that for myself too. I remember being almost confused the first few days but I soon figured out what to do with myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you are getting used to having a little time to yourself every week. It is such a luxury I agree. What beautiful colours and patten you have chosen for your blanket, that is going to look so colourful and cosy. The rug looks fab too. So creative! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those few hours alone become so precious don't they, and very productive too! Your blanket is very pretty - love the colours and the stitch.
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice,,,Thanks for sharing...
    Please have a look on my site bt customer services number.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that crochet book in your last photo. I bought it in a charity shop. I haven't made anything from it. If you do, I'd be very interested to see what you choose to make. Keep me posted. I'm making a shawl, pattern from Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a crafty autumn ahead! I am glad that you have all settled into the new routine. The blanket and rug look great, looking forward to seeing more of your projects!! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see how your rug turns out! That yellow is lovely. But I really love the stitch you're using in that blanket, it's kind of spiky but wavy too. I remember how wonderful it felt to have my two in school and whole uninterrupted hours of time to do jobs or craft. I even got the sewing machine out some days! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds as though you are really enjoying and making the most of your time with some beautiful projects! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the girls have settled down well and you have a bit more crafting time. Also love the look of your blanket for the living room, I love crochet projects that come together fast. Great choice of colours. The rug for the girls room looks fab too but I find my hands get tired if I crochet t shirt type yarn for long stretches at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete