Friday 8 November 2013

A Little Bit of Crochet



I learned to crochet when I was growing up in the Philippines.
My mother showed me how and we were also taught the
basic techniques in school. I made little bags and hats but
eventually got bored and forgot all about it.
Then earlier this year I started reading craft magazines and blogs and
saw so many beautiful crochet creations and felt inspired.
After so many years I thought I'll try crochet again.


But it's been a very long time since I have worked with
a hook and yarn so it was quite slow going when I started last spring.
I remembered some of the simpler stitches but got all muddled up
trying to follow a pattern. In the end I opted for something quick
and simple and made this mug cosy.


It was just a small project but was actually just right for someone
like me trying to get back into crochet. It gave me some confidence to do
a bit more but I got busy with sewing last summer and crochet never
got another look-in. Not until this autumn when I saw this book
at the local library.


It's by Vanessa Mooncie and it's packed full of gorgeous projects.
 My favourite of all was this brooch.


I love cherries and have always wanted a brooch like this.
The pattern was easy enough for me to follow and best of all
I already had the yarns and brooch back at home.
I just had to make it!


It took a few attempts before I managed to make two cherries
that were roughly the same size, then the leaves and joining them all up
and then I had my crocheted accessory!


I think they look very nice- just perfect with my denim jacket!




And now that I'm less busy with sewing I've had time to start
another crochet project and there's two more lined up after this.
When I told my mother I'm enjoying crochet again
 she said she's very pleased.
 So am I.




Thanks for reading!
Have a great weekend!!!





2 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful that you were taught crochet in school. I wish they did that here! How nice to re-discover a skill you learnt as a child and then be able to make yourself this pretty brooch. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion - thank you for popping by Eight-by-Six this week. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete